Thursday, September 22, 2011


The joys of being a Grandad:
A woman in Food City is following me and my badly behaved 6 year old grandson.
It is obivious to her that I have my hands full with the boy screaming,
for sweets in the sweet aisle, fruit in the fruit aisle, and for
toys, cereal and pop in the other aisles.
Meanwhile, I am working my way around and saying in my controlled voice
easy Billy boy. Just hang in there we will be out of here in only a few more minutes.
At the checkout, my little terror is throwing items out of the cart,
And I say again in a controlled voice, "William, William, relax
Buddy, don't get upset. We'll be home in five minutes; stay cool, William."
Very impressed, the woman goes outside where I am loading
my groceries and the boy into the car.
She said to me, "It's none of my business, but you
Were amazing in there. I don't know how you did it. That whole time, you
kept your composure, and no matter how loud and disruptive he got, you
Just calmly kept saying things would be okay. William is very lucky to
Have you as his grandpa."

"Thanks, lady," I replied to her, "but I'm William (Billy) . .. . That little
Bastard's' name is Steve."

No comments: