Friday, July 10, 2009

A helping hand

I have always been the type to lend a helping hand, rarely do I ever pass up a disable stranger broken down on the highway.
I have helped people in trouble all my life, during that time I have met a couple of strange hitch hikers that I got rid of fairly quickly.
But in general most people in trouble are folks just like you and I. Their car has simply quit running or they like to hitch hike. Try it sometimes. Just walk out to the main road, I know there is one near you. Then stand on the side of the road and stick out your arm with your right thumb straight up. Look at the oncoming cars as if to say give me a ride, please. It is fun, and when someone stops you will meet a stranger who can become your next friend.
My recent “pick ups” was a migrant farm worker, traveling with a lot of luggage and a large dog named Taz. Molly loved the companionship. I gave him a 250 mile ride. We camped together and became good friends. Another was a young mother carrying a baby, walking down the interstate. Why would a human past up such a scene. I don't know but many cars had done so. It was a very hot day and the first thing I did was offer her a cold drink. She had been walking for 30 minutes. She had just broken down without her cell phone. We called her husband at work and I waited with her at Arby's until he came. I was her angel for a while. My act of kindness made me feel so good and Molly licked my hand in her certain way.
I picked up a very large man and gave him a ride that took me about 30 miles out of my. He was an epileptic and help from people like me was his only means of transportation. Molly liked him.
But, just a while back I stopped to help this well dressed man, he walked up to the passenger side to get in, opened the door, and pause while Molly smelled him out. A side of Molly that I have never seen came out, she snarled and showed signs of aggression, hairs raised up on her back, it became apparent that the man was not going to enter without a fight.
I told him to close the door and back away from the bus. He did so and I drove away.
Long ago I became aware of the fact that Angels come in many shapes and forms. If I did not have Molly with me, God would have figured out some other way to warn me of the danger.
So the moral of this story; I will continue to stop and help out a stranger when it seems necessary.
Why it might just be you. And only you know if Molly will let you in.

No comments: