Thursday, January 1, 2009

Getting it done


Getting it done.
Have you ever noticed a person walking down a street with the look on their face as if they know exactly where they are going and exactly what they are going to to when they get there.
Well I do that and I am confident in my stride because I have a prepared presentation, I am going to be early for the appointment because I have made a plan and I am now working my plan. I have 5 things to do today and only some emergency will hinder my performance. I will not deviate from my plan nor will I stop work until those 5 things have been accomplished. I will not deviate from that plan either.
I am a list maker, when written down it becomes a plan to follow. Each day I begin with a list of 10 things to do that day, there could be 30 to 100 things that need to be done in a short period of time like a week, this is what I consider to be short term goals. Now I sort through my do list and set priority on a project I seem to function very well with 10 items per day. So I select the 10 most important things for that day. 3 to 6 items can be done on the phone or computer, leaving me with 5 to do's that require personal contact.
One other thing I do and do well is what I call cold calls, the reason I like cold calls is because it sharpens my creativity talents it keep me witty and quite often that is when I get my best ideas about a sales presentation. Nothing with me ever happens till I sell something. And selling someone something they never even thought about buying is thrilling to me. Before I retired and had to sell, I would stand in front of my prospect and just look at him for a moment and think to myself “ You have my money in your pocket and I want it. You see you have a problem and I have the solution.” Modest has never impressed me very much. But be honest, if he doesn't have a problem that you can solve move along and find a prospect. You know what a prospect is don't you. Prospects are the life blood of any business.
Now if you are the type that has a thousand things to do and never seem to get anything done, try making a short list of 10 to 20 to do's set a priority and go after each item until it is concluded. I speak from experience It worked for me and at the end of every week I was always unemployed because I had nothing to do and that is when I would really panic.
Oh, when you make that do list, be sure to plan some play time, play time is the most important part of a do list, it is that time when you defrag yourself. Just like this computer it will run better and much more efficient when it is rebooted.
And one other thing I never forget to do, I always say “Jesus, I just can't do this by myself and I sure do need your help.”
I made a good living by planning my work then working my plan, one thing at a time, as you know I am retired now. I share this with you freely, I write from experience, not something I learned in school nor from something someone told me to do. It is simply the only way I could get things done. If this don't work for you then go back to your way of doing things because your way will not work for me.

No comments: