Sunday, September 6, 2009

Carolina Hemlock


Carolina Hemlock
I love to travel and camp, but us face it, that kind of lifestyle can be expensive these days. With a camper that only gets 9 miles per gallon, that doesn't leave much money for eating after one pays the campsite for staying there.
So I started to learn about volunteer camp hosting; you can Google it and learn more. I made a resume on my website and emailed it to many camp ground owners. To my surprise a lot of them were interested in me.
I thought I would give it a try when The Cradle of Forestry replied that they had an opening and after a brief interview on the phone I accepted the position at Carolina Hemlock in the Pisga National Park. It was a 900 mile trip for me but I made the most of it with a 5 day drive.
The campground was beautiful and the host was very glad to have me.
Day one was easy and all I did was set up for my stay. Day two, I opened the park at 7am then cleaned the bath rooms after that I raked and cleaned campsites. I was very busy and quite tried when I closed the gate at 10pm. Day 3, 4 and 5 was the same schedule. Tuesday and Wednesday were my days off. Then I found that the rest of my schedule looked just the same the rest of the time I was to be at the campground.
Day 4 on the job, I was called into the office by Sonja and told to keep Molly out of the cart and out of the area. Mistake, Molly is more to me than any job and besides that I made it very plain in my resume where Molly fit into my plans. After day 4 things went down hill.
I have always done most of the work because I owned my own businesses, but I could not stand a lazy person and that is just what the main host and the other host were LAZY. I was doing the work while they sat on their ass in the office and pretended to be busy.
I began to act like a leader and confronted them all, the bottom line is, after 4 weeks I left and left them with the little scam they are running. I went to the top of the chain of command and found the attitude there quite lacking. End of story.
There is an opening for a camp host at the Carolina Hemlock in Burnsville NC. You will be furnished with all the eminences and a fantastic area to be in, if you love nature. But you are going to work, and you are going to have to be just like your main host, an unfriendly, sour faced, backstabbing woman who hates animals and anyone who questions her ability to lead or unlead. It just don't work that way with me.

No comments: